How to improve

General Information about The M.C.S. and for all enquiries and Guest Book

Moderators: Moderators, General Forum Moderator

How to improve

Postby janetweeks » Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:01 pm

This was posted up on the Living history forum, any one want to comment?
----------------------------------------------------------

For me it is less the "stuff", clothing, arms and armour which I want to see improve. It is behaviour. We can set an example with that. The King came on to the field last Tewkesbury and was very surprised that a group of scruff gunners went to their knees to greet him. Two of us in the fair ground did the same thing. I want our group correctly to acknowledge every person dressed as a higher status type appropriately. I know there are millions of the buggers wandering about and it could get very tiring but maybe the high and mighty types will start to get the message. Similarly, when any of us go high status, we do so with an appropriate bunch of retainers and guards. Surely that is something those of us who get annoyed by lack of accuracy could do at little cost other than exhaustion from kneeling every few steps? Then we can move on to helping others by setting an example with clothing and artefacts. Finally, hosen... The real thing from pictures was very tight fitting and stretchy. The stretch is difficult to get with any modern wool because the Cotswold and Leicesters which had a staple over 20" are now endangered species (Adam from Countryfile has a flock of around 20 Cotswolds. Perhaps we should be making him offers for the fleeces)? I suspect the only way to get that tight fit these days would be to use wool lycra mix. So, do we go for "no modern fabrics" if the alternative does not get anywhere near the LOOK of the original? My personal bugbear is the wearing of untailored loose trouser things purporting to be hose but am not content even with my own which were fitted carefully to my legs by an excellent maker because the wool, fine as it is, is just not right. Then there is the doublet/pourpoint thing... I handle this by pointing my hose to a white linen sleeveless doublet but wearing either another woollen doublet or my fighting jack over the top simply because it makes arming and disarming a lot quicker. All these garments are pourpoints but only one of them is actually doing the job. The jack or an arming doublet are used as a pourpoint for my armour. The white linen thing could I suppose be called a petticote but in any case, is never on display worn without something over the top and indeed, with my arming cote over those if I am "going out" as I believe this is how doublet and cote were used, the doublet being worn indoors and the cote put on on top. It get's hot but I feel wrong if I don't do it and keep my head covered too! I try to explain this to people who see the steam coming off... When in kit I don't eat ice cream or drink coke and pour drinks quickly into an authentic drinking vessel and refuse plastic bags at the market as I carry a linen bag for purchases.
life is for living
janetweeks
Knight

Re: How to improve

Postby Graham Field » Sun Mar 09, 2014 1:07 am

We always bend a knee in honour of the king when he passes :D
The Medieval Combat Society
http://www.themcs.org

It is as it is
Graham Field
Earl

Return to Public Forum