Surrey re-enactment invitation (Multibash opportunity)

General Information about The M.C.S. and for all enquiries and Guest Book

Moderators: Moderators, General Forum Moderator

Surrey re-enactment invitation (Multibash opportunity)

Postby Marmalord » Sat Apr 11, 2009 7:21 pm

Hello I am the Marmalord (Ruler of Marmaland).
I am here to make a very special and open offer for you all to be part of our unique battle re-enactment.
As you will no doubt know, the mediaeval battle fought between the people of Marmaland and the evil Lemon curds has never been accurately re-enacted before.
This Spring Bank Holiday, in a park in Caterham all that changes.
White Knobs Park, 2pm, bring your weapons and wear your costumes.
(Tea & biscuits will be provided).

Date- Monday 25th May 2009.
Venue- White Knobs Park Caterham Valley Surrey
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&q=w ... a=N&tab=wl
Marmalord
Serf

Postby Graham Field » Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:53 pm

Hi Steve Jones

Nice one, you gave me a little chuckle there, I think our maces will be quite effective against the evil lemon curds!

Marmaland forever!
The Medieval Combat Society
http://www.themcs.org

It is as it is
Graham Field
Earl

Postby William Montacute » Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:32 pm

Hi Steve and welcome to the forum. Do you prefer Steve, Stephen or Steven?

Looks like you live in South Croydon so Caterham is not too far from you.

I also run one of the portal sites for reenactment globally and am generally kept informed of any events that are happening but I have not heard of your event so far this year.

I know Caterham quite well but have not heard of the park that you mention. If you want your event publicised to the several hundred thousand people across the UK interested in such events please feel free to contact.

Certainly either the society site or the events site generate more than 250,000 page hits per month each, and from a global audience, so it might generate some interest for you?

You may not know but we, as a society, have contacts with many groups who may be interested and, through the events site, I have contacts with several thousand groups, societies and traders who all have many years of experience of putting on such events.

Drop me an email if we can point you in the right direction for your event. It certainly sounds like the sort of off-beat oddity that may well appeal to many of the people we know who like to take part in such fun and, of course, non historical events.

Take care

David D.
Well someone had to do it!
William Montacute
Earl

Postby Wendymj » Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:16 am

Welcome Steve,

I'm afraid I have a strong aversion to Lemon Curd following an unfortunate childhood incident. Should you plan a future event involving, say, a nice strawberry conserve it might be a little more tempting.

I do wish you luck though and hope you find some willing participants.
Wendymj
Earl

Postby Marmalord » Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:52 am

Wendymj wrote:
I'm afraid I have a strong aversion to Lemon Curd following an unfortunate childhood incident.

Hi Wendy (and co), Thanks for the responses :D
A strong aversion to lemon curd is exactly what I look for when recruiting for my marmalade army!
I agree that there is a place for an egg at the breakfast table, but as long as there is blood running through my veins I will never accept it as a lemon spread ingredient.
Marmalord
Serf

Postby William Montacute » Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:23 pm

So Steve,

Out of sword, hand and a half sword, two handed sword, mace, axe, glave, bardiche, flail, ball on a chain, quarter staff, archery, pole axe, bill hook and morning star which do you think most effective against Lemon Curd?

Take care

David D.
William Montacute
Earl

Postby Marmalord » Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:27 pm

:D
Weaponary appears to be your area David - and to be honest you are gonna have to explain the difference between a Bardiche and a pole axe for me.

But I guess, I would go with the morning star + ball on a chain combo. (that is of course if the Marma-Blade was not available to me)

Marmalord
Marmalord
Serf

Postby William Montacute » Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:42 pm

Steve,

At the end of the day it will be your responsibility, and yours alone, should anything go wrong so I would advise that you start to learn fairly quickly.

Then again you could call on the gonnes, bombards, hande gonnes, canon and such like that people could bring to your multibash. Doing so, of course, you would have to get Croydon council, the local police and the courts involved to make sure that you are covered on the black powder issue.

Have you thought about a beer tent yet? Entertainment for the evenings? A supply of good wood so that we can all cook and have a proper fire in the evenings?

Have you looked at on-site concessions for things like burger vans and ice cream sales? These are also usually a must for the members of the public and help to make such an event memorable for those who are paying to come and see the show.

First Aid is a must, The local St John's would be happy to attend but you have to ask them and they tend to like a "donation" to their funds for turning up. Not that they are much used for the renactment but if you have a lot of the public turning up they tend to be quite utilized for the more normal general public matters that happen at such a big event.

You have gone down the insurance route haven't you?

Lastly, as you live in South Croydon I would advise local publicity, The Croydon Advertiser would be a good bet, not forgetting the Informer Group of Newspapers, they generally like to turn up at events like these and do a photo spread for the local editions of the Informer, The Surrey Comet may well be worth a call as well.

Take care

David D.
Last edited by William Montacute on Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
William Montacute
Earl

Postby Wendymj » Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:43 pm

Wendymj
Earl

Re: Surrey re-enactment invitation (Multibash opportunity)

Postby alan63 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:43 pm

it must be a nice event... any pictures; videos?
Glory; love; passion!
alan63
Serf

Return to Public Forum