The Medieval Combat Society
Location: Church Road, Stansted Mounfitchet, Essex, England
Opening Information: Locked, key holder nearby, details in church porch. The church is a redundant church looked after by the Church Conservation Trust.
In 1086 the Domesday book records a priest at Stansted so it is likely that a Saxon church once stood on this site. In 1120 William Greno raised a hill and built Stansted Castle. William became known as 'de Monte fixo' which became Mountfitchet. William was probably responsible for the chancel, north and south nave doorways which are from 1120. William died in 1126. The font dates from 1200. In the 13th Century a chapel was added on the north side, possibly by Roger de Lancaster, who was lord of the Manor of Stansted hall from 1285-1291. Rogers son Sir John de Lancaster probably extended the Chapel eastwards. John gave the advowson of the living to Thremhall Priory. The tower is of brick and was built in 1692. The church was restored in the years 1887 to 1888 and 14th Century wall paintings were discovered at this time.
Robert de Bokkyngg, died 1361 (Patron was Priory and Convent of Thremhall)
19 December 1361 Robert Sparrow (Patron was Priory and Convent of Thremhall)
22 September 1383 Richard de Bickleswade (Patron was Priory and Convent of Thremhall)
29 September 1389 Nicholas Cook (Patron was Richard II)
22 November 1390 Simon Gaunstede (Patron was Richard II)
Either: Sir Roger of Lancaster de Rydal, Lord of Stansted Hall 1285-1291, High Sheriff of Lancashire 1265-1267, died before 22 February 1291, married married before 23 October 1262 Philippa de Bolebec, died before 1 September 1294. Heraldry: Argent two bars and on a canton gules a lion passant gardant or. The style of the armour worn and date make it likely that it is an effigy to Roger made by his son sometime after his death.
Or: his son Sir John of Lancaster, Lord of Lancaster, died before 18 April 1334 who married Annora, died before 6th October 1338, and owned properties in East and West Ham. Herladry: Argent two bars and on a canton gules a lion passant gardant or.
Inscription to the first vicar in latin: "Here lies Robert of Bocking, the first Vicar of the Parish of Stansted Mountfitchet, who died August 31st 1361."