Medieval reenactment Forum

Forum

The Medieval Combat Society

Home Events Join Us Book Us About
Gallery History Heraldry Links For Kids

Ottery St Mary Collegiate Church Ottery, St Mary Ottery St Mary Collegiate Church

Ottery St Mary

Ottery St Mary Church

Location: Ottery St Mary, Devon

Map

Website: http://www.otterystmary.org.uk

Opening Information:

History:

There is no record of a Church being at Ottery in the Domesday book of 1086 but a register at Rouen from the reign of Henry II (1154-1189) lists 2 vicars. A church has stood here at least from the 12th Century, and in 1207 the name St Mary was seen. The first recorded instance of a Church was on 4th December 1259. On 15th December 1337 a license was granted by Edward III for the formation of a Collegiate church. In 1342 the Collegiate Church was completed by the Bishop of Exeter, John de Grandisson (1312-1369). In 1520 the North Dorset aisle was added. In 1520 the commisioners of Henry VIII took over the College of Priests, buldings and treasures. The college was disolved on 24 December 1545. The Church has an astronomical clock thought to date from the 14th Century and the Golden Eagle Bible Stand of Bishop John de Grandisson from 1342, now restored. In the Lady Chapel are arches with the heads of William de Montacute 1st Earl of Salisbury, Otho de Grandisson, Bishop Grandisson and Katherine, Countess of Salisbury (1303-49). The weathercock on the exterior is believed to be the oldest in the country still in use, dating from 1340, and is called The Whistling Cock as it has 2 tubes in the base that made a strange whining sound.

Vicars:

1283 John de Wolrington

1297 John de Middleton

1310 Dom Geoffrey (Gulfridus)

1310 John de Thormerton

1329 John de Sharnebrook/Sharnebok

1335 Oliver de Farsy/Fayrsy

Wardens of the College

1338 Richard de Gomersale/Gonisdale

1338 Richard de Otery

1349 Henry Bonet

1350 Andrew atte More/Attemore

1379 John Coterell

1397 William Slade

1399 John Bokeland

Effigies:

Otho de Grandisson, died 1359.

Otho de Grandisson 1359

 

Beatrix de Grandisson, died 1349

Beatrix de Grandisson 1374

Brasses: None

 

Roof Bosses

Ottery St Mary Roof Bosses

 

Arms of France and England from the reign of Edward III

Heraldry of France and England

 

14th Century Astronomical Clock

14th Century Astronomical Clock

 

Bishop John de Grandisson's Golden Eagle, 1342, restored

Bishop Grandisson Golden Eagle 1342

 

Medieval Floor Tile

Medieval Tile Ottery St Mary

 

Stocks

Stocks

 

Medieval Combat Society re-enactment©2006 The Medieval Combat Society

HomeEventsJoin UsBook UsAboutGalleryHistoryHeraldryLinksFor Kids Mediaeval Combat Society