Medieval reenactment Forum

Forum

The Medieval Combat Society

Home Events Join Us Book Us About
Gallery History Heraldry Links For Kids

Ightham, St Peter

Ightham St PeterIghtham Church St Peter Interior

Location:

Map

Website:

Opening Information:

History:

A church probably existed at Igtham from the Saxon period. Patrons of the Church are listed as 1232, the King, 1284 Nicholas de Cryel, and William de Kyrkeby, 1390 Thomas le Zouche, 1394 Thomas La Zouche. The church was rebuilt in the 14th Century and the north aisle reconstructed in 1639.

Rectors

1284 Robert de Kemesyng

1373 Robert Atte Beche

1384 William de Wykyng

1390 Richard Milton

1394 John Colyn

1396 William Coke

Effigies:

Thomas Cawne, died about 1374. Thomas married a Morant of Chevening. Thomas built the orignial Ightham Mote. Thomas has a Jupon with a lion rampant, tail forked, over ring mail, and wears a ring mail camail which is attached to his bascinet. His sword was worn on the left and dagger on the right and are now missing, and were attached to a belt worn over the hips. A window was provided for in the will of Thomas with the heraldry Cawne Impaled Morant. Thomas is thought to have fought at the battle of Crecy in 1346. On his death he passed his house to his son Robert in 1374.

Thomas Cawne 1374

Brasses: None

 

Medieval Combat Society re-enactment©2006 The Medieval Combat Society

HomeEventsJoin UsBook UsAboutGalleryHistoryHeraldryLinksFor Kids Mediaeval Combat Society