Medieval reenactment Forum

Forum

The Medieval Combat Society

Home Events Join Us Book Us About
Gallery History Heraldry Links For Kids

Goldsborough, St Mary the Virgin

Goldsborough St Mary the Virgin

Goldsborough Church St Mary the Virgin Interior

Location: Goldsborough, Yorkshire

Map

Website: http://www.knaresborough.co.uk/goldsborough/church/index.html

Opening Information: Church is locked, access is through keyholder who can provide a guided tour.

History:

Evidence exists for 9th century remains on the site of the church. The Norman south door is the oldest part of the church, possibly from around 1150. The Norman chancel and chancel arch were replaced in the 13th Century. The tower was built around 1380 and has a heraldic shield, on the north side of Richard de Goldsburgh who died 1386, on the west side Richard de Goldsburgh who died 1425 and on the south side Richard de Goldsburgh who died 1443.

Rectors:

1290 Anthony de Gold borch

Effigies:

Richard de Goldsburgh died 1308, his feet lie on a lion couchant.

Richard de Goldsburg 1308

Richard de Goldsburgh, died 1322, the shield is a cross patonce, of the Goldsburgh family.

Richard de Goldsburgh 1322

Brasses:

 

Green Man, believed to be a pagan fertility symbol

Green Man

 

 

Medieval Combat Society re-enactment©2006 The Medieval Combat Society

HomeEventsJoin UsBook UsAboutGalleryHistoryHeraldryLinksFor Kids Mediaeval Combat Society