The Medieval Combat Society
Location: Exeter, Devon
Opening Information: See website
A Minster church stood at Exeter until 1003 when Vikings destroyed it. Exeter became a Cathedral in 1050 when St Germans and Crediton were amalgamated under Exeter. The Cathedral visible today is from 1250 to 1369. The twin towers at the East end are Norman. Exter was damaged by bombing in World War II.
Completion of Exeter Cathedral was achieved by John de Grandisson who was Bishop of Exeter from 1327-1369. John de Grandisson built the vaulting in the Nave with his coat of arms in the second from last bay and an image of John de Grandisson in the last bay. John de Grandisson was buried in 1369 within a small chapel he had built within the west wall but was despoiled in the 16th Century. A large 14th Century boss shows the murder of Thomas a Becket being murdered in Canterbury Cathedral in 1170.
1292-1307 Thomas Bitton
1308-1326 Walter Stapeldon
1326-7 James Berkeley
1327-69 John Grandisson
1370-94 Thomas Brantyngham/Brantingham
1395-1419 Edmund Stafford
1284-1302 Andrew de Kilkenny
1302-1307 Henry de Somerset
1309 Thomas de Lechdale
1311-1326 Bartholomew de Sancto Laurentio
1328-1335 Richard de Coleton
1335-1353 Richard de Braylegh
1353-1363 Reginald de Bugwell
1363-1378 Robert Sumpter
1378-1385 Thomas Walkyngton
1385-1415 Ralph Tregision
Henry de Ralegh, died 1303
Richard Stapeldon, died 1320
Humphrey de Bohun, died 1322
Walter Stapeldon, Bishop of Exeter 1307-1326, founder of Exeter College, Oxford, Trasurer of England 1319-1325. Killed by a mob in London during the unrest at the end of the reign of Edward II. The inside of the canopy shows Christ who has risen ith the wounds of the passion.
Hugh Courtenay and wife, died 1377
Edmund Stafford, Bishop of Exeter 1395-1419, Chancellor of England to Richard II, alabaster effigy probably carved at Chellaston, Derbyshire
Brasses: No 14th Century
Front Effigies of Exeter Cathedral
14th Century Bishops Throne and Canopy made in 1313-1316 for Walter Stapeldon by Thomas of Witney
Replica Boss from the centre of the crossing between the transepts. The boss is of a knight, being a christian sole fighting 3 dragons who are the world, the devil and flesh. The original boss dates to about 1300.