Medieval reenactment Forum

Forum

The Medieval Combat Society

Home Events Join Us Book Us About
Gallery History Heraldry Links For Kids

Deerhurst, St Mary

Deerhurst St Mary Church

Deerhurst St Mary Priory Church

Location: Deerhurst, GL19 4BW

Map

Website: http://www.deerhurstfriends.co.uk/

Opening Information:

History:

The name Deerhurst comes from 'wood frequnted by deer'. Deerhurst lies at a traditionally favourable fording point of the river Severn. The church was orignially part of a larger priory. The ealiest masonry in the church is from around 700 AD. The Saxon Deerhurst Angel is on the outside south wall of the church. The label stops of beasts on either side of the church door are 9th century and have original paint work on them. Alphege a Saxon monk 953-1012 was at Deerhurst and later became the Archbishop of Canterbury but was captured and ransomed by the Danes and but Alphege refused to let anyone pay and so he was martyrd at Greenwich by having ox bones thrown at him. Edward the confessor gave the monastery to the Abbey of St Denis in Paris and from that point the monastery declined in importance until its lands were confiscated by Henry VI and given to the college of St Mary at Eaton. The six nave arches date from about 1200. In 1440 Deerhurst became a cell of Tewkesbury Abbey.

Rectors:

Effigies:

Brasses:

Sir John Cassey (d 23 May 1400) and Dame Alice. The latin Inscription reads "Here lies John Cassy, knight and formerly Chief Baron of the Exchequeor of our Lord the King, who died on the 23rd day of May, A.D. 1400. And Alice, his wife, on whose souls may god have pity". He is dressed in judges robes with a lion at his feet. Dame Alice feet rest on a small dog named 'Terri' or 'Cerri'. A copy of the brass has been made and is in the south aisle. John wears a close fitting skulll cap and a mantle lined with minver over a long robe with close sleeves. Alice wears netting on the hair to confine it around the face but let te hair fall down the shoulders where its ends are in a net and on the edge of her forehead can be seen a plaited cap. Her gown has tight sleeves folded back to form cuffs and reveal the fur lining and is tightly buttoned up to the neck. She wears a frill around the neck.

John Cassy and Alice Cassy 1400

Elizabeth Bruges 1525

Elizabeth Bruges 1525

 

 

Saxon Font. Over 100 years ago it was found outside the church being used as a drinking trough a,d brought back in to be reunited with its base which has the same pattern.

Saxon Font

9th century label stop of a beast with original paintwork

Saxon Carving Saxon Carving

Deerhurst Angel

Deerhurst Angel

Tomb

Tomb

Chest 1674

Chest 1674

Strickland Arms

Strickland Arms

Virgin Mary with Child

Virgin Mary with Child

 

Medieval Combat Society re-enactment©2006 The Medieval Combat Society

HomeEventsJoin UsBook UsAboutGalleryHistoryHeraldryLinksFor Kids Mediaeval Combat Society