Medieval reenactment Forum

Forum

The Medieval Combat Society

Home Events Join Us Book Us About
Gallery History Heraldry Links For Kids

Bures, St Mary the Virgin

Bures St Mary the Virgin

Bures Church St mary the Virgin Interior

Location: Church square, Bures, CO8 5AB

Map

Website: http://www.parishchurch.co.uk

Opening Information:

History:

In 1075 Waleran Fitzranulph granted the church at 'Buri' to Caen Abbey, which may be the church of Bures as the Fitzralphs owned land locally and have their heraldry on the church font. The Domesday book refers to Bures as Bura or Bure and a church with 18 acres of free land. In 13th century the church was rebuilt and was referred to as All Saints and Bures Nostre Dame and in the 14th century it was largely rebuilt and referred to as Bures Seinte Marie. in 1410 Sir Richard Waldegrave built a tower on the base of a 13th or 14th Century tower. Additions were made in the 15th and 16th centuries. The south west buttress has the outline of a scratch dial and a hole for a gnomon. The font dates from the 15th Century. In 1733 the tower was struck by lightning which caused a fire and melted the bells.

Vicars:

1270 Hugo the Priest, Patron: Prior and Convent of Stoke-by-Clare

October 1310 Elyas de Brampton (resigned), Patron: Prior and Convent of Stoke-by-Clare

21 December 1334 Albericus or Aubbrey de Denham, Patron: Edward III having control of the Priory and Convent of Stoke-by-Clare

29 April 1351 Johannes Foderinghay de Bedford (resigned 1368)

2 November 1368 Willelmus de Leverington, Patron: Prior of Stoke

1381 William de Horbury, Patron: Edward III having control of the Priory and Convent of Stoke-by-Clare

3 June 1382 Johannes de Stubley (Chaplin), Patron: Richard II having control of the Priory and Convent of Stoke-by-Clare

9 April 1385 Mattheus de Herbury, Patron: Richard II having control of the Priory and Convent of Stoke-by-Clare

20 July 1389 Johannes de Newton (Chaplin), Patron: Richard II having control of the Priory and Convent of Stoke-by-Clare

13 March 1391 Simon Gaunstede (Cancelled before induction), Patron: Richard II having control of the Priory and Convent of Stoke-by-Clare

29 April 1391 Ricardus Faukoner or Facon, Patron: Richard II having control of the Priory and Convent of Stoke-by-Clare

19 August 1412 Johannes Smith, Patron: Prior and Convent of Stoke-by-Clare

 

Effigies:

Richard de Cornard. The effigy has been in its current position beneath the window of the north aisle since at least the 16th Century when it was believed to be Sir Richard de Conard, although the body is probably buried beneath the north wall. A wooden effigy thought to be from 1330 carved in Sweet Chestnut, and has been painted at some time, the effigy has a mail coif with hauberk, and gambeson beneath surcoat, mail hose, knee cops shield, sword and belt and wears spurs. The holes on the effigy could perhaps have been for pegs to hold ornamentation or armour. In 1306 one Sir Thomas de Grey married Alice who was the heiress of Sir Richard de Cornard and so acquired that estate in Suffolk.

Richard de Cornard 1330

Brasses:

Matrice where brass once was placed of Richard Waldegrave of Small bridge, first speaker of the house of commons (d 2 May 1410) and his wife Joan de Bures (d 10 June 1406) Joan was the widow of Rober de Bures of Netherhall (d 1361).

 

15th Century Font which has on the east the arms of England, and then clockwise arms of de Vere, Fits-ralph, Mortimer, de Cornard, Waldegrave, de Bures, and Mortimer of Clare.

St Mary Bures Church Font

de Bures
de Cornard
de Vere
England C15
Fitz-Ralph
Mortimer
Mortimer of Clare

de Bures Heraldryde Cornard Heraldryde Vere HeraldryEngland Heraldry 15th CenturyFits-ralph HeraldryMortimer HeraldryMortimer of Clare Heraldry

 

Medieval Combat Society re-enactment©2006 The Medieval Combat Society

HomeEventsJoin UsBook UsAboutGalleryHistoryHeraldryLinksFor Kids Mediaeval Combat Society