Medieval reenactment Forum

Forum

The Medieval Combat Society

Home Events Join Us Book Us About
Gallery History Heraldry Links For Kids

Brandesburton, St Mary

Brandsburton St Mary

Location:

Brandesburton

Map

Website:

Opening Information: Brandesburton Church St Mary  Interior

History:

A Norman church possibly as early as 1081, but certainly by 1251 when a rector is first recorded and the rectory was worth £13 6s 8d in 1291. By 1311 it had been dedicated to St Mary. The Chancel, arcades, aisles and tower were built in the 13th century with a refurbished chancel in the 14th and again in the 16th century. The clerestory was built about 1400 as was the timber roof. Further restoration occurred in about 1890.

Rectors:

Richard de Melton

5 Feb 1320 Thomas de Nottingham

Richard de Nottingham

William Darrell died 1363

William de Belton

27 Jun 1370 Thomas de St Martin

Effigies:

Brasses:

William Darrel, rector of Halsham 1364, died 1368

William Darrel 1364

Sir John de St Quintin died 1397, and his wife Laura, died 1369. In the will of John it gave "To be buried in the middle of Brandssburton quire, before the high altar, the best beast in Bransburton to be given for the mortuary, and a brass set in marble to be placed above his grave shared with Laura and Agnes his late wives: two twelve pound cadles to be burnt about his body on the day of his burial".

John de St Quintin 1397

 

Medieval Combat Society re-enactment©2006 The Medieval Combat Society

HomeEventsJoin UsBook UsAboutGalleryHistoryHeraldryLinksFor Kids Mediaeval Combat Society