Medieval reenactment Forum

Forum

The Medieval Combat Society

Home Events Join Us Book Us About
Gallery History Heraldry Links For Kids

Berkhamsted, St Peter

Berkhamsted St Peter Church Exterior View

Berkhamsted St Peter Church Interior View

Location: St Peter's Church, High Street, Berkhamsted, Herts, HP4 2AX

Map

Website: http://www.stpetersberkhamsted.org.uk/

Opening Information:

History:

Geoffrey Fitz Piers, Earl of Essex, holder of the castle at the time, was the founder of the church, one of the largest in the county. Its grandeur also reflects the flourishing wool trade in the town at this period. The church was built along side the old Roman road and cruciform structure of the church dates from the 13th Century with the nave set out by around 1230. In the Chancel and North aisle 13th Century windows survive, the remainder being mostly 14th Century. About 1320 St Katherines chapel was added to the chancel and in about 1350 the irregular shaped chapel of St John the Baptist was added between the south aisle of the nave and the south transept. In the 15th Century a two storey porch was built west of this chapel, and in the nave and aisles windows were inserted. The upper part of the tower was rebuilt in 1535. The south transept was repaired in 1639 and in 1723 some of the St John chapel roof collapsed. The Church was restored in 1820 and further in 1870.

Rectors:

1222 Robert de Tuardo
1223 Hugh de London
1238 John de Merse
1270 Walter de Braclesham
1294 Roger de Castro
1345 Richard Abel
- Thomas de Bamville
1331 Walter de Bamville
1333 John Conde
1334 Richard de Ochecott
1349 William Wenlock
1352 Philipe de Leghe
1356 Ralph de Iddebury
1357 Nicholas de Rede
- John Osborn
1365 Nicholas Turney
1369 Thomas Somenor
- John de Waltham
1381 Peter de Burton
1382 John Long
1384 Robert .de Bolton
1385 John Milton
1386 John Creeton
- Thomas Brydde
1406 Robert Bodersale

Effigies:

Henry of Berkhamsted and wife 1370. Henry was Constable of Berkhamsted castle in the mid 14th Century. The effigy is carved from Totternhoe stone.

Henry of Berkhamsted and wife 1370

Brasses:

Richard and Margaret Torrington 1356

Richard and Margaret Torrington 1356

Margaret Briggs 1370

Margaret Briggs 1370

John Raven 1385, Squire to Edward of Woodstock, more popularly known as the Black Prince. A local road named Raven's lane is named after him.

John Raven 1385

Richard Westbroke 1485

Richard Westbroke 1485

Robert Incent 1509

Here lyeth buryed and thys stone the body of Robert Incent Gentylman late suant to the nobel pryncess Cecyle duchesse of Yorke & mother unto the worthy kyng Edward and Richard the thyrde whych sayd Robert dyed of the grete swetyng sykeness the first yere of the reygne of kyng Henry the viii upon whose sowlys Jhu have mercy amen

Robert Incent 1509

Katherine Incent 1520

Here lyeth buryed und(er) thys stone the bodye of Kateryn sumtyme wife of Robert Incent,Vgent father and mother unto John Incent docto(r) of ye lawe who hath done many benyfyt & ornament given unto thys chapel of Saynt John whyche sayd Kateryn dyed the XII day of Marche ye xii yere of the reygne of kyng Henry the viii.

Katherine Incent 1520

Sir John Cornwallis 1544

Sir John Cornwallis 1544

 

Other Items of Interest:

Tomb with floriated cross 1200

Tomb with floriated cross 1200

Font

Font

 

 

 

Medieval Combat Society re-enactment©2007 The Medieval Combat Society

HomeEventsJoin UsBook UsAboutGalleryHistoryHeraldryLinksFor Kids Mediaeval Combat Society