Medieval reenactment Forum

Forum

The Medieval Combat Society

Home Events Join Us Book Us About
Gallery History Heraldry Links For Kids

Barkham, St James

Barkham St James

Barkham St James Church Interior

 

Location: Church Lane, Barkham, Berkshire, RG40 4PL

Map

Website: http://www.abch.org.uk/

Opening Information:

History:

In 1220 John was the Rector of the Church of Barkham. In 1334 Edward III granted the advowson of John Maltravers to the church after John had forfeited them. The Church was rebuilt in 1832 in flint copying a 13th Century style.

Rectors:

1343 John de Insula

Henry Ganefeld until 1396

Effigies:

The wooden effigy in the church porch of a recumbent lady in a long, loose dress and linen head-dress is reputed to be an effigy of Anne Nevill or Agnes de Nevill (b 1316 Arborfield, Berkshire, d after 1343) daughter of Thomas Nevill, married (1330 or 1342) Gilbert Bullock (b 1312) second son of Robert Bullock. In 1331 Gilbert Bullock was lord of the manor of Arborfield. In 1327 Agnes de Nevill brought an action for waste was brought against John Botiller who claimed that John held the manor of Barkham for life of her inheritance. In 1334 Agnes gained possession of the manor of Barkham from John Maltravers who had been conveyed the manor in 1330 by Philip and John Botiller the sons of John Botiller. In a later settlement the manor was passed to John Bullock with a life interest reserved to an Agnes Ganefield against whom a suit for dower was brought by Agnes the widow of John Maltravers in 1368.

Agnes Neville

Brasses:

 

 

Medieval Combat Society re-enactment©2006 The Medieval Combat Society

HomeEventsJoin UsBook UsAboutGalleryHistoryHeraldryLinksFor Kids Mediaeval Combat Society