The Medieval Combat Society
Location: The Street, Ash, Kent, CT3 2EW
Opening Information: 09:00-16:00 daily
The parish was once part of the royal manor of Wingham and in about 850 was given to the See of Canterbury by King Athelstan. A church was built on the site in about 1150 and rebuilt around 1282 when Archbishop Peckham created the seperate parish of Ash with the tithes going to the canons of Wingham College founded at this time, and who would in return provide a vicar for Ash. The original Medieval font is thought to be embedded in the east wall of the south chancel and the piscina is 13th century. The archway from the north aisle to the north transept is from the end of the 13th century and the north transept formed the Chapel of St Thomas Becket. Further building work was carried out in around 1350 with the 14th Century arch between the north and south transepts remaining. The tower was built in about 1500. In 1510 Wingham College stopped providing a vicar and after 1547 Wingham College was suppressed by Henry VIII. Elizabeth I in 1561 gave the See of Canterbury the right to the tithes. In 1863 remains of fresco paintings were found on the walls.
1297 Henry Beaufiz
1396 John Bromhill
1403 Thomas Monketon
Assumed to be Lady Goshall 1306. Purbeck marble, Purbeck marble effigies became unfashionable soon after 1300 so this may indicate an earlier date than 1306. She wears a kirtle under a full length robe and a wimple on her head. The 1334/5 Lay subsidy roll lists Gosehalle, Gosehale and Lady de Goschalle which may be the same as Goshall. The Edward III role gives a Walter de Goschalle, Raffe de Goschalle and Walter de Goschalle.
John de Goshall 1306. The Goshall coat of arms was visible on his shield in 1613. Stone effigy originall gilded. Hood and coat of mail with long surcoat open at the front. Fringed leather ailettes protect his shoulders. In the Court of Common Please of Edward II for 1308 is listed John de Gosehalle vs William de Whitfeld and Hamo de Ponte in a plea that William repay him a debt of £20 and Hamo a debt of £20. They did not come to court. William was attached by Mathew de Sutton and Mathew de Ewell and Hamo by the same. They were distressed of all their lands.
Kent Archaelogical society lists Archaeologia Cantiana - Vol. 52 1940 Index to Volumes 20 to 45 page 196: Goshall (Gosehall, Gosehalle, Gossehall), manor, 32, 32.
Goshall, arms, 21, 201; Sir Henry, 31, xciii; John de, Knight of the Shire, 21, 201; Sir John, monument, 21, 201; 31, xciii; Randolph de, 41, 21.
John Leverick 1350. Stone effigy. The Leverick coat of arms were on his shield in 1613. He wears a short jupon with an ornamental border of steel plates, which can be seen through the lacing on his side and is very rare if effigies. On his hands and feet are flexible laminated scales with spikes on his knuckles. Around his waist is a baudric richly decorated and a second belt carries his sword.
Maud Oldcastle daughter of John de Oldcastle (b 1378, d 14 Dec 1417) and (m 1408) Joan, Maud married Roger Clitherow/Clitheroe son of Richard Clitherow (b about 1363, d 1420) Sheriff of Kent and 1404 Admiral of the Seas “from the Thames mouth westward" and Catherine Oldcastle (b about 1366). The brass has been given as about 1435 or 1455.
15th Century Chest