Medieval reenactment Forum

Forum

The Medieval Combat Society

Home Events Join Us Book Us About
Gallery History Heraldry Links For Kids

Aldborough, St Andrews

Aldborough St AndrewsAldborough Church St Andrews Interior

Location: Alborough Church, Aldborough

Map

Website:

Opening Information:

History:

Richard de Aldburgh was granted a license on 3rd March 1332 to found a chantry chapel at the Eastern end of the North aisle. On 20th March 1335 Philip de Aylesbury was granted a license to found a chapel to St Mary on the South aisle. The license also assigned lands in Aldborough for a Chaplin to pray for his soul. A chapel of St John the Baptist was founded later.

Vicars:

1316 William de Carleton

1340 Roger de Giblington

1349 William Anby

1362 Robert Bonde

1362 John Fulford

1372 Thomas Escriks

1372 John de Wintworth

1373 John de Kilburn

1380 William de Thoreby

1380 Thomas Myton

1390 Henry Ake

1390 Alan Cochon

Effigies:

Brasses:

William de Aldeburg, died 1360, the brass was discovered beneath pews in the Lady Chapel during the Victorian restoration. Willaim was a high court judge. Aldeburgh is German for old castle. The brass is believed to have been engraved in about 1360 in York.

William de Aldeburg 1360

 

Medieval Combat Society re-enactment©2006 The Medieval Combat Society

HomeEventsJoin UsBook UsAboutGalleryHistoryHeraldryLinksFor Kids Mediaeval Combat Society