The Medieval Combat Society
Also known as Thomas Granson, Thomas de Grandison and Thomas de Granson
Died: 1 November 1375
Parents: Otes de Grandison (died 23 May 1359) married (before 28 October 1340) Beatrix/Beatrice Malemayne (died after 1359) daughter of Nicholas Malemayne
Elizabeth de Grandison
Spouse: Margaret of Caru/Margaret de Caru (died October 1394) married 2: (before 1379) Roger de Beauchamp
Heraldic Coat of Arms: Paly, argent and azure, on a bend gules three eaglets displayed or
Crest: Out of a ducal coronet Sable a plume of feathers Argent.
Knight of the Garter 1369, Stall 21, became a member of the order of the garter after the death of James Audley
The title Baron Grandison was was first granted to Otho de Grandison, by Edward I, but left England in opposition to Edward II, and the title became extinct. The title was again granted to William de Grandison (died 27 June 1335) who was summoned to Parliament in 1299 as 1st Baron de Grandisson and in 1285 married Sibyl Tregoz. The title passed to his eldest son Piers de Grandison 2nd Baron Grandison who married in about 1330, Blanche Mortimer. The title passed to on Piers death in 1358 to his brother John de Grandison, 3rd Baron Grandison, Bishop of Exeter, (born 1292, died 16 July 1369) who was never summoned to parliament. The title then passed through another brother called Otes de Grandison who had died in 1359, to his son Thomas Grandison 4th Baron Grandison, who was never summoned to Parliament.
Bertrand Du Guesclin and Olivier III de Clisson departed Caen on 1 December 1370 and made a surprise attack on the Mercenary company of obert Knolles forces, led by Sir Thomas Grandison at Pontvallain, south of Le Mans on 4th December 1370. Sir Thomas Granson and 80 other valuable prisoners were sent to the king of France on 1 January 1371.
At the church of St Mary the Virgin, Newent, Gloucestershire,
England, are the alabaster tombs of a knight and lady, believed to be of Thomas
de Grandison and his wide Margaret de Caru. The alabaster effigies were broken
up between 1780 and 1860 when they were repaired.